Order before 2pm for Next Day Delivery

Call Us 01484 400 855

Planning permission for driveways

Home > Blog > Planning permission for driveways

As a resin surface installer, it’s essential to be aware of planning permission for driveways. This will help you determine what you can and cannot do as an installer, plus you will be able to advise your potential customers on the process. So, as a leading specialist in resin bound and resin bonded surfaces, we thought we would share the relevant information with you.

Resin-bound driveways and other permeable surfaces

Resin-bound driveways and other types of permeable driveway, such as gravel, permeable concrete blocks or porous asphalt, can be built to any size without the need to acquire planning permission. This is also the case for driveways where surface water is directed to a lawn, border or soakaway to drain naturally.

Resin-bonded and other impermeable driveways

When laying resin bonded and other types of impermeable driveways, such as concrete, the largest they can be built to without planning permission is 5m2. Anything larger than this will require planning permission.

Flats, maisonettes, converted houses and other buildings

It’s important to mention that the guidance above relates to the front garden on houses and not to:

  • Flats and maisonettes
  • Converted houses or houses created via the permitted development rights applying to changes of use and new dwellinghouses
  • Other buildings

For any potential customers where these circumstances apply, we recommend you direct them to their local planning authority to check if they will need planning permission.

Planning permission for driveways at the side or rear of the home

sand colour resin gravelThere are no restrictions on the areas of land that can be covered with hard surfaces at, or near, ground level on a property. Therefore, driveways can be installed at the rear or side of the home, provided other guidance relating to planning permission for driveways is followed.

Designated land and areas where Article 4 restrictions might be in place

There are various areas in the UK classified as designated land. These areas are often subjected to Article 4 directions, which restrict permitted development rights. Sometimes, but not always, an Article 4 direction will affect driveways. This includes permeable driveways, which as mentioned above, usually do not require planning permission.

The areas of designated land are as follows:

  • National parks
  • The Norfolk and Suffolk Broads
  • Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONBs)
  • Conservation areas
  • World Heritage sites

Therefore, if you have a client who lives in an area of designated land, you should direct them to their local planning authority, so they can determine whether they will need planning permission for their proposed driveway.

Listed buildings

If one of your customers lives in a listed building and they would like a driveway installed, they will need to apply for listed building consent with their local planning authority prior to any work taking place.

Dropping the kerb

If you have a customer who wishes to drop the kerb to have a driveway installed, they will need to get permission from the local council to do this. The customer will also need to pay to have the kerb dropped and some councils may charge to apply.

The Resin Mill are a leading trade supplier of resin bound and resin bonded surfacing materials. For more information, give us a call on 01484 400 855 or email sales@theresinmill.co.uk.

Related to this post: